View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008, 12:48 PM   #717
Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
My feelings exactly tbh. After i read the review here, which made the game sound promising, i searched on ebay and imported a copy from america. Good job i have that 98 computer otherwise i wouldn't have been able to play it. Better than Barrow Hill to a degree, but still pretty average.
"Pretty average" just about sums up AMBER. It's worth experiencing, but not worth paying collector's item prices to get hold of. Disappointed at the lack of a scare factor, as I was in the mood for serious ghostly goings-on, but as a general story it's OK. The theories behind the paranormal phenomena are well thought out and hang together, making the premise quite believable.

The biggest letdown was the end phase...
Spoiler:
...after you've dealt with all the ghosts and have to rescue your friend from being lost in the astral realms.
I was expecting another mini-adventure equivalent in length and complexity to the ghost stories. Instead it was a couple of quick puzzles and a cutscene, the end, bye.

Technically the program is excellent for its time, and the game shows a lot of promise and original thinking. It just didn't quite live up to what it could have been.