View Single Post
Old 04-04-2004, 03:10 PM   #80
Mattsius
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seed
Just because an adventure game has a cartoon plot, it doesn't automatically make it any less valid. It's not just the story that's important, it's the way it's told, and DOTT tells it's story very well.
I agree that the story is well told, but I feel that it’s not enough. DOTT is funny as hell and the story supports that very well, but to get a really great and epic adventure you also need emotion. And when I talk about emotion I also mean other forms of emotion than laughter and happiness. GF, TLJ and GK3 all include almost the whole emotion repertoire and DOTT doesn’t. It’s that simple.
Take a comedy film for example, it’s unbelievably funny when you watch it and you go out of the movie theater with a big smile on your face, but you forget it fairly soon. That’s a lot like DOTT. If you look at a movie with more depth and different kinds of emotion you tend to remember it longer and ponder about what happened in the film and what it was trying to say to its audience. More often than not that doesn’t happen with a comedy.

There are good moments in DOTT that you remember though, like the three presidents and Ben Franklin, for example. The humor is great and the intro a classic. Kingz said that the puzzles are very "story-relevant" and I must agree on that, but as much as I would like to say that this game is flawless, I can't. It has its lows just like it has its highs, although there definitely is more of the latter.

Well, my ramblings might not make much sense. It's in the middle of the night when I'm writing this, but if there's anything weird in the text I'll get back to you tomorrow.