View Single Post
Old 09-15-2008, 01:53 AM   #3325
MoriartyL
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

I didn't enjoy Moulin Rouge, though I like musicals and greatly admired its visual style. I just can't sympathize with a guy in love with a hooker. Also, I found the endless pop songs more tiresome than amusing.

Anyway.

I just watched La Dolce Vita, because Roger Ebert said on his blog it was his favorite movie and that made me curious. For the first forty-five minutes or so I was really bored, and wondered why anyone was impressed. But then I started picking up on what it was saying, and I more or less enjoyed the rest. (The party at the end is an exception- I didn't understand what it was for to begin with, and was confused throughout.) The main character is such an unforgivable schmuck, I enjoyed hating him. Anyway, now that I see the point I'd probably like the beginning much more. But I don't want to see it ever again- I don't know if I could tolerate looking at Marcello for another three hours, knowing that a car's not going to run him over and do the world a favor. Still, a good movie. I'm glad I saw it.