View Single Post
Old 04-04-2004, 01:34 AM   #18
CrimsonBlue

I remember seeing a demo of Sam and Max for the first time. I didn't have a PC at the time, I was purely Amiga back then. Walking the narrow path.

But anyway, I had seen Day of the Tentacle before that, and was anxiously waiting for an Amiga version of that game. Didn't come of course, which I still find strange. It may have ended up on a lot of discs, but the Amiga should have been able to cope with it. But I guess they just gave the Amiga up after Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, which suffered even more than Monkey Island 2 for not having a harddrive. Amigas with a HD wasn't that common back then.

But to the point. When I first saw Sam and Max, I thought it was a childs game, what with the cute graphics and such. But what got me the most was the interface, which I really didn't like at the time. I thought, "hell, that looks like a Sierra game!". Although I was a big fan of certain Sierra games, Police Quest and Leisure Suit Larry were among my favourites, I didn't really like it when they switched to the icon-based interface. And when my favourite adventuregame developer went the same way, I was not impressed to say the least.

The point is, when I tried that demo so long ago, I wasn't really impressed with the game. I completed the game for the very first time 2 years ago or so, and thought it was among the greatest adventures ever. I also didn't get to play DOTT before 2-3 years ago either, and I thought that was even better. Sam and Max have a genuine feel among the LucasArts games, as much as the others do. Although I think DOTT is a better game, Sam and Max is worth a good chance from anyone. And no, it's not overrated. It's humour isn't bad. It's very good and genuine, but not for everyone. That's up to the individual.