View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 08:25 PM   #38
skwatter

I am having a problem with this game. I am on the fourth CD and I have just gotten out of the raven room after the table puzzle. after a few cut scenes (just after the December 2. 1941 sequence) I get an error saying: cannot find/open file J: \p3a\c28z1.pcx. I have the images ripped onto my computer, and J: is my CD drive. All the CDs before have played perfectly so I don't think it's because they're ripped images.

I have found this file on the fourth CD. it is in the exact file path specified in the error message. Why can't the game run it? after the error message comes up, the cut scene continues, but I get horrible screen garbage and then the video slowly hiccups along, and I can't get it past that. The game quits and I get a windows XP error: Memory cannot be read.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game. I have tried the patch and I tried the compatibility modes and all that. I even tried putting the directory with my missing file into the install folder of black dahlia on my C: drive. no go. just got the same error message, instead of j: \, I got c: \dosgames\bdahlia\p3a\c28z1.pcx not found. BUT IT"S THERE. (and yes, i know i have spaces in between the drive letters and their backslashes. if i don't, they show up as smiley faces.)

I have also tried the game in Windows 98 SE in Virtual PC 2007. I copied my game save files over to the partition using a CD. same problem. can't find that c28z1.pcx file.

Is this a problem with the cd? what's happening?

Please help, i want to play this game.

Last edited by skwatter; 09-08-2008 at 09:14 PM. Reason: tried more things