View Single Post
Old 09-01-2008, 05:34 AM   #1
colpet
Easily amused

Default What role does gaming play in your life?

This is a bit of a twist from the usual why do you like gaming threads.
As I read through the forums, I'm struck by the seriousness and devotion displayed in the comments. Of course, some of the conviction comes from arguing a point, but I'm sure that many of you here (and at other forums) take gaming quite seriously. I used to, and then recently have fallen back to a more casual relationship with my games.
Playing adventure games is a hobby for me. It joins reading fanasy, dancing, and gardening as the major ways I spend my spare time and relax. I like to have fun with my games, and expect them to help keep my aging neurons functioning. Games are similar to my books, in that they also provide a getaway from reality. Because of that, I think I prefer a fantasy game environment as opposed to gritty reality based games. I have a great imagination, and as such, can fill in the blanks (so to speak )with games that have poor graphics, poor voice acting, etc. The latest game I played (The Dig) was a grainy and pixellated as it gets, yet I still maintained a sense of wonder exploring the world.
I suppose that this topic could distill down into what do you expect games to do for you. My needs are fairly simple. Give me something to occupy my mind and force me to think, take me someplace different, and help me forget the stressors of reality (certainly not add to them). I don't need to have an epiphany everytime I play. I don't need to have ultra realistic environments and characters, though it's easier on the eyes. I just want to enjoy myself and have a little getaway from the real world.

An offshoot of any hobby, is participating in specific forums such as this one. I enjoy having a place to go and read about games/books, and as such am slightly more social online than I am in my real life. Writing and composing sentences and paragraphs to get ideas across was a failing art for me, and over the years at the forums, I've gradually regained some skills that I used to have. I's easy to get rusty when you only talk on the phone and write in medical records .