View Single Post
Old 08-30-2008, 07:15 AM   #13
Sik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
Well...I didn't know that. But still what he describes is for special kind of characters who provide comic relief and have to incorporate jokes and improvisations to their dialogues. I don't think this is the right way to go about when creating a game in general. Good dialogue usually doesn't come through improvisation. Comedy on the other hand maybe, but the actor still needs to have a good well thought out script to work with.
Those two characters were mentioned as an example because the actors had more influence on the dialogue than what is usual. I'm not saying that the voice actors should improvise, and come up with most of the dialogue. Just that you hire actors to get in character and act, not just read lines. There are plenty of good actors out there that don't come with Hollywood fees. The TLJ example where the dialogue was written after the rest of the game was finished is an extreme example, but still. There should be enough flexibility to give an actor some influence on what his or her character should say, or the lines will sound stale or out of place at times.