View Single Post
Old 04-03-2004, 08:43 AM   #62
Stinger
Retirement is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vel
[IMO]At least one of the Kyrandia games should be in top 10,(probably the third one).
A Larry game should also be included. And latter two GK games should not be neglected. [/IMO]
Well, now I've gone and broken my promise about not responding to feedback, but this is worth addressing: there is an article I wrote as a Top 20 followup that included, among other things, a list of the games I had slotted 21-30. This list includes Conquests of the Longbow, the next two GK games, and Kyrandia 3, which I like even more today than I did when I wrote the list.

It also includes full disclosure of the games people brought up during the resulting discussions that I had been unable to play before compiling the list, including Discworld Noir (I don't believe the first two games are Top 20 material), Sanitarium (which I have since remedied), Cruise for a Corpse (ditto), and Sherlock Holmes: Rose Tattoo.

I'm sure someone can come up with an archive.org link to this article.

I like all the Larry games very much, but would have a very, very difficult time making a case for any of them being anywhere near the Top 20. Today, I think I maybe could put LSL3 somewhere 25-40, but that's it. Same with the Police Quest series, which is absolutely my favorite PC game series ever, but there aren't any really great games in the series.

I liked Legend's adventures, but there's nothing there I would consider Top 20 material. I plan on replaying Death Gate again soon though, as some who I respect have told me my judgment erred on that one.

Syberia will never make the Top 20. I'm as big a fan of Syberia as anyone, but there's no valid argument for it to be considered one of the truly elite adventures ever. It's just the best adventure since TLJ.

And by the way, there were really only two reasons I wrote this Top 20. 1) To get people talking about old adventure games, and 2) To make people think about how they would rank the greatest adventures ever. This isn't any sort of "The List" or anything, I'm just a critic and a fan like everyone else, and you're all free to write your own lists; in fact I would encourage it.

And finally, before I really do retire from adventure games forever, allow me a moment to cackle hysterically at the notion of something from the Gobliiins series being in the Top 20.

- Evan

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."