View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
Squinky
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
They have to be a distinct gamplay element because without them you are left with a non-interactive movie or a book.
As I said, many movies and books have puzzles in them. The difference is that in games, the player plays a part in solving those puzzles, whereas in non-interactive media, the protagonists do it themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
But let me ask you: why isn't exploration part of the story too? Stories aren't just about conflicts, they're also about settings. If I read a short story which paints a vivid picture of a world the character's a part of, and that world's really interesting, I say "Great story!". Why make the division between environments and activities in those environments, when they're all just parts of the story?
I meant "exploration" defined in the same manner that Marek did in the article I linked to above; that is to say, freedom of movement. This is the element games possess that differentiates them from movies and books. Sorry if I was unclear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
For that matter, what about pixel hunts? [...] What about minigames? Aren't those a part of the story?
Both of these things are often considered under the umbrella term of "puzzles" in adventure games. Same rules apply.