View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 11:13 AM   #681
JemyM

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue View Post
Worst thing was the horrible inventory system, and the useless loot. Getting the same things 100 times in a row isn't my idea of rewarding. Also, they forced you to pick up everything, as well as limiting the amount of items you could have in your inventory. You should've been able to choose which items you pick up and make break the rest down into gels in one click.
My grief with Mass Effect was that every mechanic that could be considered "rpg" in it was a step down from previous games from Bioware. The inventory system was one of the most glaring one. I have tried hard to come up with an inventory system in an older rpg that actually was worse... I even considered games like Ultima I, and none is as horrible as Mass Effect. It's the first time in history I actually begun using notepad on the side to keep track of it.

But then there was the character system that was so simplified the whole joy with experimentation and creating your own character got lost. The choices was reduced to the "good vs bad" formula which I hated from the start (humans do have more diversity than violent bipolars to "im so good im naive" and neither option fit with the kind of duty Shepard is supposed to have in the game). The dialogue system was so over simplified that if you could script the mouse to drag up-left or down-left through the entire game you would not only finish the game without actually reading/listening to a single line of dialogue, you would max out your paragon/renegade points while doing it.

It was an entertaining game, but it also left me with a kind of sadness or lack of satisfaction due to it's lack of "rpg".