View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 01:06 AM   #15
Lucien21
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
This isn't true of AG at all. We may discuss comparisons to other adventures since that's what readers will most closely relate to, but we're very conscious of the larger gaming context, and adventures are rated by those broader standards. Of course, you need reviewers who play other genres to do that, but I don't think there are any staffers here who don't.

Now, that doesn't mean we place the same importance on innovation or replayability or multiplayer or some of the other things that mainstream sites might. But for the most part, a good adventure needs to a good game, period, not just good "for an adventure".
Now you are just playing with semantics.

You are reviewing against the broader standards, but not placing the same importance on certain things so that brings us back to reviewing against the yardstick of what makes a good adventure game.

I wasn't suggesting anything wrong with reviewing adventures against a yardstick of adventure gaming goodness.

People who come here like adventures and want to know if the new releases are good based on the same criteria of liking adventure games not how they stack up against the latest FPS or RPG game.