View Single Post
Old 08-17-2008, 02:56 AM   #674
Lucien21
Psychonaut

Stong bad's Cool Game for Beautiful People : Episode 1 : Homestar Ruiner

Ok admitidly I wasn't the biggest fan of the idea behind this Telltale game from the start.

Having never gotten into the original website it is based upon and not finding the few email jokes I looked at all that funny I was extremely sceptical about buying this game.

What I am a big fan of though is Telltale itself. Bone was great and i'm a big fan of their work on Sam and Max. So I gave the demo a go from that decided to give it a shot and purchased the season pass on PC.

The graphics have the typical Telltale look about them, the menu interfaces are cool and the tutorial was quite funny with everyone messing up their "lines".

Onto the game itself, and although I doubt I will ever be a huge fan of the source material, there was some genuinly funny parts in the game from the opening theme song to some of the odd responses to clicking on items had me laughing.

Unfortunatly I do think you need to have more of a appreciation and knowledge of the source material to really get the most out of the humour.

The voice work was great with each character having a distinctive voice although some of them start to grate after a while. Strong Bad is a pretty decent character and keeps the game moving along.

The gameword is pretty empty and lifeless, possibly a restriction for the Wii edition or maybe it's in keeping with the comic I don't know, but there isn't really that much to do.

The puzzles were very easy and not all that interesting and the story was weak. The padding out of the gameplay with the snakeboxer, teen girl sqaud comic and the costumes and cups etc (while amusing) didn't really fit with a short episodic game which without it would last a couple of hours.

Overall I found the first episode an amusing "adventure" aimed at beginners and fans of Homestar.

6/10