View Single Post
Old 07-29-2008, 09:57 PM   #20
Lupin The Third

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
After reading quite a few opinions about the Wii, and especially the kind of games available for it, the console is certainly very gimmicky. It's the kind of console my parents would probably play (being non-gamers), but the novelty would definitely ware off.
With the N64 and the GC Nintendo designed the controllers basically around what Miyamoto was doing at the time (M64 and Luigi/SMS). Now it seems like they've designed the entire console around a Miyamoto-Flight-O-Fancy (TM). While that's all well and good for Mario Galaxy, too much of the software has suffered as a result. The problem isn't that it's hard to develop games around motion sensitivity, the problem is that it's too specific to what one designer wanted to do. To me the Wii-mote is not much different than the Sega's Samba De Amigo Maracas, Namco's Guncon, or Steel Battalion...ok, let's face it Steel Battalion is way more innovative than the Wii-mote...anyways, it's a very unique device, but trying to make it work for every game genre just isn't practical.

We heard from Nintendo that we'd never play an FPS the same way after Red Steel...then we heard the same thing a year later with Metroid. Yet here we are two years after the Wii was going to revolutionize the FPS genre and all the highly anticipated FPS titles are still on PC, 360, and PS3. With the Wii having a larger market this should almost be a statistical impossibility...yet once again the next Call of Duty is going to sell best on platforms other than the Wii.

I'm really not trying to pick on the Wii here, in spite of what some may think based on my criticisms, in fact I have severe issues with each of the 3 consoles right now. But there's a reason that virtually the only games selling on the Wii are 1st party. Yes, partially that is because Nintendo's quality control has gone out the window. But the other aspect of this is that Nintendo has crafted a console designed for a specific consumer and when amazing titles like Blast Works, Okami, Zack & Wiki, No More Heroes, and others hit the console they quickly become bargain bin fodder. Will any of the adventure games coming right now fare any different? Especially since the average Wii consumer seems to have a sever aversion to substantive story-driven gaming experiences.

And a further problem is the "trendy" aspect of the console. Consumers who are purchasing the Wii because it's the must have Christmas item aren't here to stay, regardless of what Nintendo thinks. I keep coming back to the "soccer mom" that Nintendo talks about at every press conference and now seems to covet as the pillar of their consumer base. These consumers didn't play Zelda, or Paper Mario....and you can forget them ever giving something like Okami or Sam & Max a chance.