View Single Post
Old 07-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #18
Lupin The Third

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom_ View Post
Very well pointed. I realise now that my response wasn't the greatest.
Don't feel bad. I think alot of people just assume that anything and everything can sell on the Wii since the consoles are selling like mad. But look at how a game like Zack & Wiki by Capcom, one of the best games on the console, has flopped so badly that Toys-R-Us clearanced out copies of the game for $9 (a mere 8 months after release) and Capcom has already said that a sequel is highly unlikely. And this is one of the most stellar titles on the Wii; one of the few games that isn't just gimmick and is actually well crafted around the way the Wii-mote operates!

The thing publishers and pro-Nintendo pundits are missing is that fact that most Wii consumers simply aren't traditional gamers. They're the kind of consumer that'll drop WiiFitness, and never look at it twice, when their friends take them to a Zumba class; they'll toss the console in the closet once they buy a new I-phone or any other new media-hyped consumer good. I'm sure, for example, that Telltale will make a profit on Sam & Max, but more so because porting costs on such a game are fairly minimal and the core gamers that do own a Wii are starved for any quality release; not because there's any real demand for such games on the Wii. However such a game would generate even more in total revenue on PSN/XBLA, even selling at a lower price per unit, simply because that's where the console gamers are that are more likely to embrace such titles.

Heck if games like Myst 3 & 4, Still Life, Syberia 1 & 2, Dreamfall, Indigo Prophecy, Broken Sword, and a few others found a home on the Xbox 1, with its FPS-only stereotyping and minimal market share, there's no way the genre wouldn't fare much better on XBLA given the unbelievable success MS has had with digital distribution via the service.

While some adventure publishers might be able to hop on the Wii-train for a short ride, it's not likely to last long. I just hope that maybe they'll realize that a fickle consumer that's going to be buying WiiSportPlay and WiiMusic come this holiday season because the media told them the Wii is the must have Christmas item isn't the kind of consumer that'll be buying adventure games. Especially given that the door's wide open for them to grab a much more loyal audience on the PS3 and 360.