View Single Post
Old 07-29-2008, 02:24 AM   #128
Fien
Senior *female* member

I should be working instead of posting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
Not at all. I'm actually more excited to play this game after seeing all the discussions and opinions in this thread, whereas if I had ignored it, I would have kept on putting it off. How, pray tell, is that harmful?
How can you have the immersive experience the developers want you to have when you've been reading a thread about the major events, plot lines, conversations, relationships, details of a game? IMNVHO that's even worse than following a WT to the letter.

Quote:
As for thinking I can do better, well, even if I like the game, shouldn't it be a worthy aspiration for any game designer to strive to improve on past bodies of work? I mean, no game is perfect, is it? Mind you, I'm not claiming I'm "better" than Jordan Mechner yet, but I'd like to be someday, as I learn more about how people before me have succeeded and failed. If this attitude makes you bound and determined to despise me, so be it.
Despise you...?? My comment should be read in the context of what Moriarty said: I would not recommend this game to anyone but game designers. I would recommend this game to game designers so that they can look at this game and cry and realize that they can do so much better.

I thought it was pretty obvious that I was being ironic and that I more or less automatically assumed you were not taking his outrageous statement seriously and would be "on my side", so to speak. Apparently I was wrong on all counts.

But since you mentioned it: No, I don't think it's a worthy aspiration for any game designer to strive to improve on past bodies of work. Only as far as technical aspects, gameplay, details are concerned. The unique game concept? No way! For instance, the developers of the many Myst clones are standing on the shoulders of the Miller brothers. And I don't see any merit in wanting to be "better" than Jordan Mechner or any other designer either.