View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008, 08:58 AM   #15
Lupin The Third

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom_ View Post
I'm just not sure if there is really a big enough market for adventure games on the 360 or PS3. To use a generalisation, most gamers for those systems are focused on playing FPS and platformers.

Whereas the Wii caters for a more casual gamer, and I think Wii owners are more likely to want to play an adventure game for that matter. When the character can't die (presuming so) and the puzzles can be solved at your own pace, it seems much more likely to cater for the casual gamer which is likely to own a Wii.
Actually I couldn't disagree more. The idea that, in this day and age, adventure games appeal to "casual gamers" (or the "soccer mom" crowd that Nintendo likes to talk about so much) just doesn't hold water. The typical adventure game is far more daunting of an undertaking than the games on the Wii that those casual gamers are buying (WiiSports/Mario & Sonic Olympic Games, WiiPlay, etc). Additionally if casual gamers were the majority of consumers for adventure games that genre would have already had a massive revival (especially on the Wii).

Sorry but I think it's far more likely that someone who plays games like Bioshock, Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey, Folklore, FF, and such, games that are heavily story-driven, are far more inclined to play an adventure game than someone who considers gaming to be swinging a remote about to toss a frisbee to a virtual puppy (ala WiiSportPlay). And I don't mean that as a dig on Wii owners, but that market is clearly showing a complete disinterest in story based gaming experiences.

The idea that PS3/360 consumers only want FPS and platforming games is quite a weak contention. And even if that were and an accurate claim the average FPS or platformer is far more story driven than almost the entire Wii software library, so even that claim still shows the 360/PS3 crowd as being more likely to be receptive to a genre that is almost entirely story-based gaming than the average Wii consumer.

While more adventure game devs seem to be flocking to the Wii there's really no proof that the Wii market is going to support these types of games. The dev support is almost entirely based upon excitement generated by the Wii-hype machine and the easy of imitating a mouse afforded by the Wii-mote. However this does not mean by any measure that adventure games will be more readily embraced by the average Wii consumer than they would be on PS3 or 360. In fact I dare say that a publisher would make more money with a PSN/XBLA release than they will with a full retail release on the Wii.