View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 08:16 PM   #11
Dea ex Machina

They're old, now, but if they can get past the dated graphics, I think that age group would enjoy the Monkey Island games quite a bit. Cute, funny, a little snarky, and no way to permanently die or get stuck.

I haven't played them myself yet, but would the Bone games from Telltale be appropriate? I know that I'd wholeheartedly recommend the comics to kids that age. If the games are mostly similar in tone and plotline, they'd be perfect. Can anyone here who has played them speak to the difficulty level?

What kind of games do these kids already like/play? What kind of books and TV do they enjoy? And what setting are they playing in? Are we talking about a gift you're getting for some specific kids, or are we talking about something to install on, say, a computer in a school library, to be played at different times by a bunch of different children?

And don't get too hung up on "for children" "not for children." So long as the game isn't inappropriate or violent, there's no reason why a kid can't enjoy a game aimed at grown ups. From age 10-12, I think I was playing King's Quest VI and Myst, my dad and my little sister and I all playing together.