View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 11:49 AM   #5
Lupin The Third

Actually older 2D games often look better on HD sets than most PS2 games. Castlevania:SOTN is a great example, the game looks brilliant on my 57" HDTV in 1080 resolution. Newer adventure games would look fine in HD even on larger screens, and many older titles would look great as well.

However I wouldn't be surprised if some titles have been refused by MS or Sony. It's already well known that MS has turned down some excellent titles for XBLA, most notably the amazing Dodonpachi shooter series and a brilliant 2D platformer called Eternity's Child, so it's not unlikely that some adventure games have been submitted and denied...but if that was the case you'd think the publishers would have said something about MS and/or Sony being the problem. To me it seems more like adventure game publishers aren't even paying attention which is a real shame.

It seems to me that one of the best ways to revive this genre is to actually get consumers to pay attention...which isn't going to happen when a game is sitting on the shelf along side titles like Gears, Halo, Resistance, Metal Gear, WOW, Diablo 3, etc. On a service like XBLA an adventure game would be showcased in a way that it simply will not be at retail.

Personally I'd love to see XBLA/PSN flooded with titles ranging from the Myst Series to the Quest Series(Police/Space/Kings/OfG) to Agatha Christie Mysteries....even the Nancy Drew adventure games would make sense. There's so much opportunity here to revitalize this genre of gaming and make it relevant once more....but no one seems to be paying attention.