View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 03:20 PM   #1
Lupin The Third

Default Why no love for XBLA/PSN from the Adventure game companies?

I started reading this site periodically a few months back and it seems really odd to me that the publishers of adventure games seem totally disinterested in the unbelievable opportunities offered by XBLA and PSN. Meanwhile the Nintendo Wii is getting all kinds of adventure game love (Sam and Max, Agatha Christie, etc)...while that's all well and good I don't see how these publishers think that consumers who are essentially only buying titles like WiiFitness and WiiSports are going to have an interest in story-driven adventure games. Especially given that a consumer who purchases product like Mass Effect, or even the recent Penny Arcade adventure/rpg hybrid, is going to be far more inclined to play an adventure game than the soccer moms that Nintendo claims is buying their console.

It just strikes me as bizarre that these publishers seem to be completely ignoring the opportunities offered by the PS3 and 360's download services. I was honestly expecting to see something like the Sam and Max Episodes finally announced for XBLA/PSN this past week at E3. Yet nothing of the sort occurred. Heck 3 of the games offered in the Xbox originals are adventure games (Indigo Prophecy, Dreamfall) or descended from an adventure game lineage (Psychonauts). So what's the problem?

Why aren't XBLA and PSN getting ports of Agatha Christie games like the Wii? Or Sam & Max? Or even ports of classic adventure games like Kings Quest? Even the Nintendo DS is getting a new version of Myst....I can't imagine the Myst series wouldn't do well on PSN and XBLA as well...especially given the older, more mature demographic on those platforms compared to the average Wii/NDS gamer. Thoughts?