Thread: E3 2008
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2008, 02:07 PM   #26
MoriartyL
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

I was very disappointed in Nintendo's conference, almost as much as last year. (I watched it as it happened.)

Wii Sports 2 seemed obvious as soon as they announced the new remote attachment, but what they showed (Wii Sports Resort) didn't seem to be Wii Sports 2 so much as a new edition of Wii Play. Throwing Frisbees? What the heck? This is their big new release.

And while I'm on the subject of that add-on, it is an infuriating idea from so many angles. It was my understanding that all the things they showed players doing in Wii Sports Resort could be done with a normal remote. Stuff like wiggling your arm around precisely, and sword-fighting. That's half the reason I bought the Wii- the promise of that remote's motion sensing. And now they're telling me: "No, you really can't do any of that stuff we promised with the regular remote. You need to buy this new attachment for each of the controllers if you want to!" And then what? The remote's motion sensing has barely been used. So they trick me and rip me off with the (expensive) regular controller, don't give me as much to do with it as I thought, and now they want to pull the same trick again?! For shame!

Then Rayman Raving Rabbids TV party and a Star Wars game are given a heavy push. I'm sure both will be reasonably fun to control, but what the heck are they doing over there if this is the best they can show?!

Wii Music I thought looked really cool until they explained exactly what it was. It's designed for people who can't play music to feel like they're playing music. It sounds like there's not so much appeal for people like me who play actual musical instruments. The drum set is cool, I could certainly develop a better sense of rhythm, but that's not nearly enough to justify a $50 (or even $30) game. This is the sort of thing I was expecting from WiiWare for ten bucks, and they're selling it in stores for full price.

And Animal Crossing. Blah, Animal Crossing. You know, I finished the Gamecube game. It took me literally years, but I paid back my loan and I felt good about it. And now they're selling essentially the same game (initially designed for the N64), just with some new features. I was expecting Animal Crossing for Wii to be The Next Step, and I'm finding something I'd feel ripped off for buying! Granted, the online multiplayer is worthwhile. But is it really worth starting from scratch in almost exactly the same town with almost exactly the same gameplay and exactly the same goals and almost exactly the same things to collect, just so I can show it off to (theoretical) friends? If I could import my Gamecube town over, that would be something. But it's like they expect to be selling this only to people who've never heard of Animal Crossing before!

Seriously! What. The. Heck.