View Single Post
Old 07-04-2008, 05:58 AM   #15
Sik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo View Post
I think a lot of people are forgetting that they've shown all of two environments and most probably as you progress through the game it will get darker and darker in every sense of the word. You can't blow people away with extreme darkness at the end if that's what you start with...
Of course some locations will be dark, and others bright. Lack of variety would make the game boring... but:

Judging by the screenshots, they have chosen to portray darkness using shades of blue, green and purple, the way it's common to do it in cartoons to make it easy to see every detail even in "dark" scenes. They have also removed the fog of war. Part of the charm in the early Diablo games was hearing the monsters before you could see them, (unless you used hacks to remove the fog of war) and getting startled as they rushed at you out of the darkness.

Character and monster models presented so far, look like something Disney could have come up with. Character models look goofy, and monsters aren't scary.

Finally, the level of gore *seems* to have been reduced a lot. That might just be the parts they have chosen to show us, but every screen in Diablo 2 looked like a bomb had gone off in a slaughter house after you had cleared it.

The concept art for the game looks great, by the way, so why the actual screenshots and gameplay footage look so ...wrong, is a bit of a mystery. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised when the game gets released.

Don't get me wrong, I know that Blizzard has an exceptional track record when it comes to making games that are both fun to play, and addictive, and I'm sure this won't be an exception. I see no reason to pat them on their back when they seem to make design choices that would make their game less than it could have been, though.