View Single Post
Old 06-22-2008, 02:37 AM   #19
Davies

Any book worth reading is worth re-reading. There's always something new to savour, like seeing how the author uses foreshadowing to set up events that will happen later in the story.

It may just be the Asperger's talking, but I'll choose re-reading an old favourite over starting a new book every time. It's always an effort to get into a new piece of fiction, and I have to be in the right mood to do it.

And games are much the same. A good game with a solid story is worth replaying. Again, if it's well written, the early parts will have a lot of foreshadowing and scene-setting that you can only appreciate once you know what's coming up.

Sanitarium (which I'm replaying now) is a good example. Yes, the first time around it was unsettling to wander through the asylum and talk to the inmates. Now that I can link their apparent babblings to later events, it's a deeper experience.

I've also wanted to write out my favourite game storylines in story form, so I can go back and enjoy them without having to play them through. Am doing this now with Sanitarium.