View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 10:18 AM   #12
Squinky
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
However, it seems to me that the needs of dramatic tension sometimes require that you place the audience in danger's path, and the only credible way for them to experience the tension is to have a brush with death.
The thing about brushes with death is that a) not very many people experience them in real life, making them, for the most part, imaginary experiences, and b) they're so overdone in movies, etc. that their impact gets deadened (at least for me; I could be an anomaly here). At this point, I'm a lot more interested in creating tension out of situations I myself have experienced, whether directly or indirectly, for fear of writing something that comes off as too hacky.

Come to think about it, the idea of writing a game where the protagonist wants to commit suicide would be interesting. Could potentially be too emo, but in the right hands... hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
If all else fails, a death sequence could be handled in such a way that either the player receives the answer to the question of 'what should I have done', perhaps spying the answer as they lay dead on the floor...
Thing about this is that it's generally bad design if you structure the puzzle so that the player cannot know how to solve it unless they have already died at least once. (Unless there's a nifty science fiction explanation as to why they are able to resurrect themselves from the dead, of course...)