Thread: Mirror’s Edge
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2008, 01:32 AM   #8
Ninja Dodo

There was a great article on the sound a while back.

Quote:
“Some of the cool stuff we’ve got is the breathing system. We want the camera to move much more organically; we want the body to feel more real. Not like the eight polygon hands you quite often get. You want tendons, and muscles straining, and stuff like that.”

(...)

“We want the same thing with the sound. So we have her breathing, and her breathing changes depending on what she’s doing.”

In the play-tests that DICE has conducted, this has triggered a surprising reaction. “Some people start to adapt to her breathing patterns. We had her, like – GASP! – taking a sharp intake of breath when she was taking some jumps and things like that. We started watching, and players were starting to keep track of her breathing.” It was stimulating a guttural, visceral reaction in the play-testers. They were on the edge of their seats.

“I was just watching that and thinking: ‘That’s amazing! I had no idea that was gonna happen. That’s awesome!’”

(...)

In that sense, both the music and breathing FX are two sides of the same coin – but that doesn’t quite complete the picture. “It’s how your body sounds, as well. It’s not just about your breathing, it’s about your clothes, it’s about your feet. We focus very, very heavily on that. Even more so than on the music. We’ve got the best foley studio in Sweden doing that.”

(...)

“It’s all about the different materials, what your feet are doing. Are you running on a wall? Are you grabbing hold of metal? Is it slippery? Is it slidey? Is it gravel? Is it concrete? Is it wood? What are your clothes doing? What material are your trousers? What material is her shirt?”
Pretty much sounds awesome... like a modern-day Assassin's Creed in first-person without the sci-fi glitches. I heard it's coming to PC also.

Can't wait.