View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 12:53 PM   #1193
Eregian
The Dude

Busy on 2 fronts these days.

1. Since the Wii is my console of choice for this generation (which I'm regretting with the impending release of GTAIV), I've been trying to keep up with both the VC and the new released top games.

So for VC it's the second Legend of Zelda. The one with the amazing retro graphics. These big epic games don't come to their right when you're trying to play 5 other games at the same time. I'm liking the atmosphere and especially the design of the dungeons, but I'm really racing through the game. Currently at the boss in the first dungeon of the 'mirror' world.

Other VC game is Super Mario 64, another epic. The level design is simple but the camera isn't helping. I'm also disliking the fact you can't just turn your character in the opposite direction, he really has to make a small circle to run to the other side. Result: DEAD, alot of DEAD. But for the first 3D platform game, mighty impressive. I can see why it's still considered as one of the best games ever. You're not just running through levels, you're actually looking for stars, making the level a little different each time you enter the level again looking for a new star. Refreshing. Can't wait to play Super Mario Galaxy, but all in it's due time.

Just started playing No More Heroes, which is simply insane. The openworld is so badly developed that it really brings the game down, but the combat is fun. Been since God of War since I was so impressed with a battle engine. It's really simple but has enormous hidden depth. Suda 51, the guy behind the game, really put every bugnuts idea somebody from the team brought up in the freakin' game. You save on toilets, taking a dump, there's a tiger which runs across your screen when activating power ups, there are crazy pop star videos you can watch (can somebody tell me if it's really an existing song?), .... Not for everyone, but I'm getting more involved while moving on. And from what I've heard the final act is a blast to play. Can't wait.

2. MMORPG of the moment is WOW. Was playing LOTRO since it's launch, but from time to time you grow bored of these games, new environments are wanted. So I finally broke down to play the mother of MMORPG's and so far it's fun. The players are not as immature as I dreaded, the lore is fun and complex. Currently playing as a butt-ugly gnome warrior at lvl 13. We'll see if Conan's release will bring another shift in my 'want-to-play' list.

Bought Sins of a Solar Empire. A new space RTS from the Homeworld and Galactic Civilisations guys. Well, the smallest map actually took me 5 hours to complete. It had around 10 planets and 1 star. Upon glancing I noticed the biggest maps had several solar systems with up to 120 planets and 10 players. These games even surpass Monopoly's playing length. It has a very slow pace and is the perfect merge between Real time and Turn based. I recommend trying the demo if you like these space 4x games. I feel I simply do not have the time for this, maybe if I still sat in college :p