View Single Post
Old 04-12-2008, 08:05 PM   #65
Not A Speck Of Cereal
The Major Grubert.

Gosh, that's harsh. Today's peeve for me seems trivial in comparison.

Peeve: I go to the grocery store and walk up to the lotto ticket check machine to check my one ticket. There's an older woman in front of me and I'm in no hurry, so I am initially patient. But here's what happens that sets me off.
  • She pulls off a ticket and looks at it. Then she looks at the machine, then back at the ticket. She turns it around to orient the bar code and then looks at it. Eventually, she puts it under the beam and waits--not a winner.
  • She looks at it and decides what to do--she's got 5-6 (or more) tickets left, but she's deciding what to do with this first no-winner. Meanwhile, a store employee wanders over while she gives it a think and checks his ticket. She eventually decides to make a pile over there.
  • Then there's the next ticket. Okay, some thought has to go behind what to do with this next ticket--oh yes, turn it around. Scan it. Oh, it's a winner--where does this one go? This takes awhile as she decides that the stack of winners needs to on top of her wallet. But before she comes to this conclusion, another store employee comes over to check her 2 lotto tockits.
  • Then there's the next lotto ticket.
Suffice it to say, for someone who really had nowhere to go but had much better things to do with my time than wait for this women, it was a very long 15 minutes.