View Single Post
Old 04-04-2008, 07:15 PM   #85
fruithead

Quote:
Originally Posted by starla9 View Post
I am 25, female, maybe on the lower end of the general adventure game demographic, as I was in single digits when Sierra was still making adventure games. I've met very few people my age with the same passion. They might have played an adventure game kinda by accident here or there, but don't really know what they are, or think they are all like Myst. Now I like Myst, it was made in my hometown and forced my parents to buy a CD drive, but arrrrrgggghhhhhh!

I got my start with King's Quest V which my computer expert uncle bought for me when I was 8. He'd shown me how to type in DOS commands when I was 6 so I could play Battle Chess and it went on from there.
That's funny. I'm 25 (female) and King's Quest V was my first adventure game. I remember it came on a CD-ROM but you needed the floppy disk too and had to enter the DOS prompts. Strange set-up. It was our family's first computer, one we bought from some friends. They gave us KQV and I think the second Monkey Island, which completely baffled me at that age. I just remember having having to wipe spit off the way and thinking it was so cool. I'd never seen anything like it.

But I'm the only one I know who plays adventure games. I've got some friends who've played CSI and I've gotten by brother-in-law into adventure games a bit but I'd wager most people I know haven't even heard of Gabriel Knight. So sad.