View Single Post
Old 04-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #12
RockNFknRoll

I don't like the notion of a single standard for all adventure games. I'm tired of all the nit-picking and whining too in the community. In some ways, it's probably harmed the adventure game production (we didn't have such entitled, relentless feedback with many of the early 90s classics) but that's just speculation on my part.

Basically, there are adventure games with death and totally annoying or cheap tricks that I absolutely love! King's Quest??? C'mon! King's Quest 6 is still a legendary game, yet if you clicked on the wrong pixel you'd die in climbing up the cliff. So what? That's part of what made it King's Quest. Many of us love those old classics, warts and all. And there's something to be said with just how incredibly simple and accommodating most adventure games these days are, there isn't enough of that old-school raw difficulty.

Then there are the adv games without death, like all the LucasArts greats, that I love equally if not more.

The only standard should be creativity, mentally stimulating puzzles and an engaging, "page-turning" experience. How a game achieves those things should be entirely open-ended.