View Single Post
Old 03-31-2008, 05:19 AM   #32
pilou

Default 30

I'm 30 and I really started playing with the best AG: The Secret of Monkey Island. I will be 31 next April.

It was incredible what characters made from a few pixels could transmit. I was amazed by the lenght, development and fun of the storyline. I think I was expecting too much from AG since then, as I found most games after MI aren't as good even if they have better graphics.

I live in Chile now, but I was living in Brasil in the beginning of the 90's when I started playing adventure games. I enjoyed playing in my Amiga 500. I consider my self somewhat introverted, but I also have a social life. After that I got the PC and could play a lot of other AG that weren't available for the Amiga like Day of the Tentacle and later Grim Fandango.

I also must say that adventure games is one of the reasons why I can speak fluid English. I don't know any adventure gamer here in Chile and I don't know if it is a coincidence but most people here don't speak English. Who say games can't be educative? Also I think that AG helps develop other thinking abilities beyond pressing buttons like in action games.

I am really a fan of old Lucasarts games like MI, MI 2, Sam and Max Hit the Road, Indy & the Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle. Never got in Sierra games really, but I enjoyed Space Quest V and consider it one of the funniest games ever.

What I am enjoying now mostly is Sam and Max episodes. It's made by some of the most talented adventure creators out there. It has cool puzzles, is incredibly funny, looks great and is showing that the genre is still very much alive.

I also play all kind of games and if they have good storyline and characters all the better. I enjoyed or I'm still enjoying Bioshock, Half-Life 2, KOTOR, Civilization 4, The Sims 2, Need for Speed Most Wanted, Audiosurf, Portal... There's quite a few great games out there to enjoy while we wait for adventure games.

The only thing that puts me down a bit is the fact that Lucasarts pretty much abandoned the genre.

I really expect that adventures come reborn, making full use of the new technologies and with new storytelling techniques. I think that while not only adventure Mass Effect is a good example of great storytelling and how good the future can be for adventure games.