View Single Post
Old 03-17-2008, 01:58 PM   #29
Kazmajik

As much as I enjoy reading reviews in general, I'm putting less and less stock in them lately when it comes to matters of personal taste. They can be very valuable in bringing up legitimate gameplay issues, such as bugs, awkward controls, and so on, but I feel pretty much on my own as far as whether or not I will actually like the game in question.

Example: the review of Culpa Innata at another adventure game site. It was gushing, with superlatives in every description, best game ever, best puzzle since Le Serpent Rouge, A+ all around. I read the review, and it convinced me to give the game a chance. These days I'm more than willing to give just about any likely adventure game a chance, anyway, so it doesn't take too much convincing, but it's with the praises in mind that I begin playing, and am completely let down.

Would I have been just as let down if I hadn't read the review? I think I would've just chalked it up as another game that didn't do it for me. But since I had read the review, I feel I have to reconcile the unbelievable praises I read with the reality of what I played. Ultimately, it leaves me questioning not my own taste, but the objectivity of the reviewer, and leaves me suspicious of any other reviews that person is responsible for.