View Single Post
Old 03-26-2004, 06:22 PM   #6
Saff678
The Elusive Zephyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo
That train is well derailed and still going, ramming everything in its path. Throwing more logs on the fire aint exactly going to help.
I agree, both sides are probably equally responsible for starting and perpetuating the violence. But my point is that certain sections, which are often representative of Palistinean sentiment, have completely rejected the idea of compromise. And when it is them who perpetuate the violence, and there is not a strong enough effort to stop them, then the fire will just keep burning. Someone has to take the initiative to extinguish the fire. My sentiment is that the Israelis have tried harder than the Palistineans, and the result is that the Israelis have been victims of their own concessions. If they cannot use diplomatic methods to solve the problem, what can they do? Kill the head of a terrorist organization? Build a physical barrier between themselves and the West Bank? Evidently, many Europeans (ie: influential UN members besides the US) do not want to give them that right.

What irritates me the most is that the US has not sent anyone to mitigate the conflict, as it traditionally has done. What may irritate me more is that Europe and the UN have not sent anyone in recent memory.