View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 04:20 AM   #13
Sik

Quote:
Originally Posted by courderoy guy View Post
I've heard so many good things about Syberia, but the idea of insanely complicated puzzles is kind of a turn off for me. Not that I can't handle them (there's always a walkthrough), but I've always been more of a story and cut-scene guy over puzzle solving. When I want that kind of thing I tend to turn to the Myst games and their clones.
I wouldn't worry about the complexity of puzzles in Syberia. It's very much a story and cut-scene kind of game, really. A lot of the puzzles in Syberia (especially the first game) involve seemingly complicated pieces of machinery, but the solution, more often than not, just involves using inventory items or pulling levers/pushing buttons in the right order, with the order being fairly obvious. In fact, the easy puzzles would be considered a negative aspect for many, but doesn't seem like you'd be bothered by that.

My only issue with the puzzles in Syberia was the inability to look at all the hotspots in the game. Example: (Not taken directly from the game, just a general impression). You see a close up of a device. There are two hotspots, a lever and a slot. Pulling the lever does nothing other showing the lever moving. Moving the cursor over the slot shows a cross, indicating that you can't do anything with it without holding the right item. No way to get additional information (Main character saying what she is thinking) by using "look at" on the slot or the lever... or the device for that matter. What you, the player, can see, is what you get. There's just a general lack of feedback when interacting with items in the world, but it's a minor annoyance rather than a serious issue since the puzzles are simple.