View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008, 01:23 AM   #8
Trumgottist
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
Okay, how about these stats: 115 people die in US traffic accidents every day, for whatever reason. The number one cause of those fatalities is tailgating (following too closely at high speeds), something that would happen a lot less if people moved right (except to pass).
And even less would happen if people drove slower. Slow traffic is not an excuse for tailgating. I do agree about keeping right, but speed is a big issue and not something to dismiss. I did some googling and found out that "A recent study examined the impact of higher travel speeds on US rural interstates after the repeal in November 1995 of the national speed limit. Researchers found states that had increased their speed limits to 75 mph (120 km/h) experienced a shocking 38 per cent increase in deaths per million vehicle miles than expected, compared to deaths in those states that did not change their speed limits. States that increased speed limits to 70 mph (112 km/h) showed a 35 per cent increase in fatalities." (Canada Safety Council)