View Single Post
Old 03-01-2008, 03:21 AM   #29
Ninja Dodo

Tastebud: Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I haven't been enjoying Okami... but I really do think that it has more content than it needs. There's no difference in function between any of the collectibles (treasures, fish, beads), several enemies... the infantry/flying/drummer/skulls pattern repeats often. And was it really necessary to
Spoiler:
defeat Orochi twice? The going back in time is an interesting plot-device but they could've changed up the gameplay a little.
Partly this is me just not having much time for sprawling epics anymore, but I really do believe that most if not all games would be better served by tending towards short but sweet. Which is not to say games should neglect leaving room to breathe - something Shadow of the Colossus balances expertly - but there's a difference between having nicely varied pacing and repeating yourself.

As gamers we tolerate, even accept repetition because the gameplay is fun, but that doesn't necessarily make it a good thing.

I agree btw that the PS2 controller, really any gamepad, is an acquired taste. Don't worry... you'll get used to it. Ico is a nice quiet game to practice on.