View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 06:25 AM   #94
Ksandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo Sakari Aaltonen View Post
My statement was in response to personal comments made by Ksandra about Jane Jensen, general comments made by Ksandra about those looking forward to Gray Matter, and personal comments made by Ksandra about me.
Please point me to the place where I've personally attacked you, or Jensen, or anyone looking forward to Grey Matter. You don't seem to understand the difference between attacking a person's behaviour - or in your case, their arguments - and attacking the person, which I have never done. I've stated repeatedly that I don't necessarily think Jensen & co are being deliberately neglectful of their fanbase, but that this is the impression they give off, and you can see from other comments in this thread that I'm far from the only person who feels this way. I'm not prepared to make excuses for them because I honestly can't think of anything I'd regard as a good excuse (except for something really terrible like the game being cancelled, which doesn't appear to be the case).

Quote:
After the personal slights against Jane, the repeated implication that other people were being less balanced in their views on Gray Matter, the patronising tone, and the baseless accusation of "feeble ad hominem arguments", it was this last comment quoted above that finally provoked my observation that Ksandra was being haughty and rude.
You know, I find that comment hilarious coming from the person whose first post in this thread contained the following sentences: "Let's have some perspective here", "If someone gets aggravated because a computer game is released later than planned, they should probably get something less ephemeral to have that reaction to" and "Those words [projected release dates] are there for a reason." I can hardly think of anything more patronising than those remarks, especially since no one had ever suggested they were upset by the delayed release date (as opposed to the lack of communication). As the tone of my posts, I honestly think I've been fairly restrained in my responses to some of your more ridiculous comments, especially the ones regarding the publishing business (which you clearly know nothing about). If you choose to argue from a position of complete ignorance, you can hardly complain when other people call you on it.

As for implying that other people were being less balanced, I said that because I honestly do think it's the case. Let me put it like this: Do you really believe that there would be anywhere near this much hype around GM if it were being made by someone other than JJ? This isn't meant as an attack - hyping a game based purely on the developer is fair enough, if you really trust them that much - but it can hardly be described as 'balanced'. I'm just assessing GM as I would any other game, which I do think is a more neutral position - though whether it's a more accurate assessment is a different matter.

Quote:
I laid myself on the line by confessing something I am not proud of, that I myself have not always maintained a sense of perspective about being a fan, in an attempt to remedy Ksandra's feeling that he or she had been insulted. Ksandra took that admission, weaved it into a strawman argument, and slapped me across the face with it. That was not particularly nice.
I did nothing of the sort. Your original comment was: "It is the misplaced sense of entitlement that I am arguing against. We do not own any piece of Gray Matter except any individual copies of the end-product we may purchase. An overbearing fan with an exaggerated sense of entitlement is an offputting thing." Regardless of the fact that you couched it in general terms, the clear implication was that people who do expect updates from publishers - like me, Fienepen and others in this thread - are 'overbearing fans' with 'a misplaced sense of entitlement'.

I gave you the opportunity to explain what you meant by this, but all you did was state that you too had been an 'overbearing fan' in the past. This doesn't explain why you thought the original comment was relevant to this discussion, since you claim you weren't referring to anyone in this thread. If this is true - and for fairness's sake, I'll assume it is - you really need to be more careful about how you phrase things, especially when the mod makes it clear that he thinks you're the one being rude and agressive.

Looking back over this thread, I think it's fairly clear that we've both misunderstood some of the other's comments. I'd be happy to make peace with you if you're willing, but I will not put up with comments like this: "By definition, an overbearing anything is offputting. As you are now being. Overbearing as in domineering, haughty, arrogant, quite rude in fact. You have also used up your benefit of the doubt." Nor will I put up with baseless accusations of 'personal attacks' against you, Jane Jensen, or anyone else. Think carefully before you reply, because if you keep on talking to me like this, I will ask the mods to take further action.