View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008, 08:12 AM   #86
Simo Sakari Aaltonen
Banned User

Ksandra, what you may not realise is that I have been an overbearing fan. I try very hard not be one any longer. I was not talking about you or anyone in specific, but I was talking as what is often termed a fan, that is, an admirer.* I mean, what else would I be speaking as?

Creators in the entertainment industry are not serving our needs any more than we are serving theirs. It is thankfully far more complex and prismatic than that. We each have our reasons for doing what we do, but in order for the ecosystem to stay healthy we need respect and ordinary courtesy for each other.

That also means acknowledging that the makers of these things are human beings and deserve to be treated as such, not as cogs in machines designed to churn out another regular fix.

* (Of a great many adventure games. The reason for the disclaiming nature of the sentence is that I dislike the term fan, it being short for fanatic. I am not sure why anyone would actually want fanatic fans, or be one. I believe most creative people want to be able to relate to their audience as individuals rather than worshipped, hated, or otherwise differently treated idols.)

Simo Sakari Aaltonen
(simoadventurecompanion.com)

www.adventurecompanion.com

Last edited by Simo Sakari Aaltonen; 02-28-2008 at 08:34 AM.