Thread: Police Quest
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2008, 05:01 PM   #8
Drunken Irishman

For me PQ4 is the best in the series. Why? Well, I'm a that sort of person who really needs good writing to be able to keep on playing something so frustrating as an adventure game. Is PQ4 writing good? Well, no. The only PQ game to have polished and well-paced writing is the remake of the PQ1.

But PQ4 gives the player a chance to see the life of the policeman through the eyes of Darryl F. Gates, who's pretty much an historical figure. While not directly written by him, I still feel that the game allows us to get some glimpse of Darryl's psyche.

Actually, all PQ's are interesting if we compare how this line of work must have influenced the person's behind these games.

Let's look at the differences between Jim Walls and Darryl F. Gates: both had shitty things in them, both had freaks of nature, drugs, etc. - but Darryl's game was full of hatred.

The first three games, despite the shitty things were full of optimism and friendliness towards the human race. Now in PQ4 I could really feel that "we should shoot all the drug-addicts" makes sense in some twisted way. I could really feel that how tempting it is to go all punisher on people. PQ4 IS hatred: there were rap artists promoting violence against police, there were fat stupid nazis, there were reporters maliciously aligned against your honest hard-working cops and trying to blame them everyway they could, there were corpses of innocent children in the dumpsters, there were psychos with gender issues that you had to burn to death.

Now the first three PQ games didn't turn the blind eye on such stuff either - there were shootings, there were drugs, there were side plots where one of the officers children is hooked on cocaine, etc - but they didn't make feel that I should hate the world. Now it may be because Jim Walls was a bad writer and couldn't portray these things the way he intended to, but I think it's something else. Daryl was a chief in L.A, Walls a patrol cop somewhere in California. I guess big cities corrupt. And most likely Walls is a warmer person. But Josho can probably enlighten me to be wrong.

Anyway, PQ's are very interesting games - not because of their design or writing, but because the insight they offer into the minds of these people. I just was more interested in Darryl than Walls, so that's why PQ 4 > PQ 1-3.