View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 01:44 PM   #27221
Giligan
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
Giligan, I have a question for you. Do you know of a Pistol that fires rifle cartridges?
No. My firearm knowledge is pretty much limited to military weaponry, and a military pistol needs to have good stopping power in a compact form, which a rifle round doesn't provide. Furthermore, a military pistol has to be able to fire multiple shots quickly, as in an automatic pistol. Also, in an automatic, the magazine is stored in the pistol's butt, and the length of the rifle cartridges would make the grip too long for a hand to hold. I believe the C-96 Mauser used a modified 7.62 rifle round, (not entirely certain, I'll have to check) (the rounds were held in a magazine in front of the pistol grip) but of course it was heavily modified as no pistol could use a full-size rifle round, because besides the other reasons it would be far too large and powerful for a pistol to handle, and it simply would have no efficiency after the first shot. There are the odd experimental pistols that fired rifle rounds, of course, but because none of them were successful or made it into production, there's not much information on them.

The exception would be long-range, single-shot civilian match pistols, some of which I think may use a rifle round. I don't have any names for you, though, I'm afraid.

Last edited by Giligan; 02-01-2008 at 01:58 PM.