View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 11:19 AM   #9
Lucifiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by papillon View Post
(I kind of enjoyed missing since january, but I felt let down by the end of it... I suppose I wanted it all to add up to more somehow.)
For me, the problem was the premise itself. When you set a psycho killer against modern settings, it usually means that the ending is likely to be disappointing 'cos you will use logic, reasoning, etc. to strip away his veneer and demystify him. Oh it might be acceptable to many but not so fulfilling, storywise and character-wise, since he's always set up to be smarter than the police and the player yet to also be dumb enough to be caught or to leave evidence lying around for you.

Whereas a real psychopath/sociopath is usually not as scary and smart as the media makes him/her out to be. Often, they're so dumb, they're caught before they even commit the crime. And 95% of them are really obscure and most are completely incapable of holding a job for more than a few months to a few years. And most psychopaths aren't interested in murder and blood: instead, they go for non-violent jobs like an ordinary human. The causes of psychopathy are still being debated since it's a question of "nurtured" vs "nature" though inventions like MRI have often pointed out discrepancies in their brains which in turn influence their behaviour.

And in comparison to other forms of crimes, serial killers aren't the deadliest. It's stuff like mugging, robbery, carjacking, etc. which are far more dangerous to the average human.