View Single Post
Old 01-13-2008, 04:11 PM   #3
Jannik

Thanks for your comments, Squinky.

And thanks to everybody who has taken the time to do the survey so far.

I'll post the results in this thread when the survey expires (in a week or so).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
Generally speaking, I prefer the single cursor the most, because it makes for a far more immersive feel when there are fewer UI elements on the screen. The only exception, in my view, would be if you're deliberately trying to create a nostalgic throwback feel in your game, in which case, you should feel free to use the kind of interface used in the classic games you're trying to create a homage to.

When it comes to the number of verbs, I think having only one is perfectly fine, particularly when most of the objects you can click on only do, in fact, have a "look at" option. Having more is usually argued to "make the game harder", but I think it only makes it more redundant, and would personally prefer if more of the gameplay revolved around doing things with the objects themselves (or better yet, characters) than around guessing the right verb.
I agree that less is often more when it comes to interfaces in adventure games. Though, I personally prefere two verbs, because a separate 'look' option often provide me with a sense of investigating the game world, like "I wonder what this weird thing is and what it can do".