View Single Post
Old 01-09-2008, 12:47 PM   #5
Terramax

Quote:
Surfer Girl told us that Heavy Rain is “shaping up to be nothing short of astounding”, and from what we know, we are with her. As big fans of both Omikron and Fahrenheit/Indigo, we are heavily anticipating this title, and hopefully we will have some more information soon!
I say make Heavy Rain with Jim Henson puppets. They tend to give out more emotion than the average Hollywood actor

Seriously though, this talks of A-list actors, revolutionary graphics and 'this computer is better than that' insults me.

I don't care what actors are brought to the forefront. Call me a sceptic as always, but I don't like the idea of A-list actors in games. It’s just another way of plugging the actor's faces in another medium.

As soon as that starts happening, games become even less of an art form and more about selling sexuality and forwarding an already overpaid actor's career (after all, no-one watches Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie because they think they're good actors).

Pre-emptively speaking I know this already happens with the franchise games, but this is just another step closer to games being a gimmicky way of blanket marketing and money going to the wrong people in the industry.

Furthermore, the reason why Fahrenheit was a terrible letdown IMO was because Cage tried to make it more like a film. If Cage likes Hollywood so much, he should change jobs.

I play a game instead of watching a film when I try to exit the constraints of a film. When I don’t want to have to see Al Pacino put on another hard man acts, Julia Roberts with her smiley façade. When I want to believe in the characters I'm watching, not play and say "oh look! there's that bloke from Lord of the Rings" or whatever.

That's not to say I don't agree with actors helping make games more believable and powerful. Real actors were used in one of my fav games:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7f6EWqCscyc

Using celebrities and stars is just going to close more doors than open new ones, which is what the statements made by the original poster is trying to make out.

Cage spent so much time trying to imitate Hollywood drivel, he ended up with a rip-off plot that even casual gamers scorned and lack of interactivity, despite all the hoo-har that this was a move forward.

I won’t touch on graphics though as this debate will be on-going until the test of time. I’ll just say what most agree on – give all the best graphics you like, but that doesn’t make a game, or even a film for that matter.

“shaping up to be nothing short of astounding”? Tell me that after we’re given some evidence of what really matters in plot driven games. A exceptional plot!