View Single Post
Old 01-06-2008, 12:56 PM   #11
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
I understand what you're getting at, variety in the genre, but how I see it is, if this is not a pure adventure, then having an adventure that has " original gameplay" isn't likely to be an adventure game. I'll be a hybrid, in which case you can compare it to those you and I have listed and it won't be that original at all.
Understood, but..........so what? I'm not exactly sure what your point is other than categorical semantics. I think at this point in games and gaming culture, hard line labeling can often become a disadvantage for certain games. Force a game to be one kind of game and it could lose marketability from potential targets.

When gaming sites write about upcoming games many of them tend to try to force it into a certain box - RPG, RTS, action/adventure, pure adventure. Why they do that I'm not entirely sure, so many games these days are incorporating details that only several years ago seemed exclusive to just one type of game (the puzzles of adventure games, for example) and there are many 'hybrids' and 'trybrids' out there, and so to call a title like, say, Bioshock, an FPS or RPG only is to miss out on other elements that contribute to its being a strong experience as a game.

In the case of Theseis, why should it make difference if we force the category of Adventure Game on it? If anything it could be detrimental to this game's potential to attract people who wouldn't mind a bit of action, stealth, puzzle solving, story, and exploration. Why call it just an adventure game? Why get pissed off if it does feature a little bit of stealth and still offer a lot of adventure game elements? Dreamfall also featured stealth (badly executed) and combat. Indigo Prophecy featured stealth (done in a novel way). Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon had stealth and action. Even Gabriel Knight 3 had some stealth elements.

Bottom line to me is that if Theseis turns out to be an excellent, good quality game, it shouldn't have to be so just because it limits itself to the silly and arbitrarily forced notions of one genre or another.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien