View Single Post
Old 01-06-2008, 12:07 PM   #10
Terramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid
Theseis looks like an adventure game designed for those of us who, for whatever reasons, prefer to not limit ourselves to typical conventions arbitrarily imposed on this genre. As it is games like this (Indigo Prophecy, Dreamfall, etc.) are the minority if you lump them under adventure game. We need more of these games to offer different choices, not everyone likes to hover their cursor over a flat picture looking for a single pixel hotspot or point & click to get a character from one end of the screen to the other.

That stated, I really hope Theseis will give us high quality, original gameplay that's inventive. One main problem devs and publishers seem to have with 'progressive' games is eventual complacency - they pimp the fact that it's in real time 3D etc. etc., but it turns out to be as conventional as, if not worse than, the assembly line, pre-fab point & clickers we've all seen before.
From what I could see from the trailer, we had a guy stealthing about, implying action moments. If this is the case, then technically speaking isn't this is an action adventure?

And if so, what makes this any different to KotoR, Mass Effect, Oblivion, Nomad Soul, Shenmue I & II, Fable, True Crime or any of the Tomb Raiders which are often categoriesed in the same way?

I understand what you're getting at, variety in the genre, but how I see it is, if this is not a pure adventure, then having an adventure that has " original gameplay" isn't likely to be an adventure game. I'll be a hybrid, in which case you can compare it to those you and I have listed and it won't be that original at all.

Alas, I too hope this game will be high quality and original. Don't we all?