View Single Post
Old 03-23-2004, 09:06 AM   #65
scabb
Kiss My Face

Send a message via MSN to scabb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
I see that term used a lot, but frankly I never really understood how it differentiates something like Monkey Island from something like Prince of Persia. Isn't any adventure game, except for maybe text adventures, a "graphic" adventure? How is Prince of Persia less "graphic" than Monkey Island?
Well, in most games you play a role, but they're not necessarily role playing games It doesn't really matter what the genre is called - there are a few genres with ambiguous name. That's not the problem here. The problem is that people don't like Prince of Persia being bunged in alongside Monkey Island. Yes, they are both called adventure games, but Monkey Island is a "graphic adventure" and Prince of Persia is an "action adventure". I don't think anyone would disagree with that, and it tends to solve the problem a little.

And actually, I do think Prince of Persia is less "graphic" than Monkey Island. I'm not sure where the term "graphic adventure" derives from, but I'd assume it has something to do with the slow-moving pace of the game giving a greater emphasis to the backgrounds, often which contain inventory-related 'hotspots'. These are the "graphics" in question.

Still, that's irrelevant. If I ask for a graphic adventure, I get one. We can't just hog the whole "adventure" thing when so many hybrids are cropping up. It seems like a sensible idea to have an "Adventure" genre with several sub-genres. Perhaps it could be taken further, and we could create more genres than there is games, completely defeating the purpose of categorising things in the first place!

Sorry if I've repeated anything said by others, this thread is far too long for such a stupid debate ;-