Thread: Best Games 2007
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2008, 06:05 AM   #6
Terramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
1. Bioshock (Xbox 360)

My favourite game of the year without a doubt. Exploring the underwater world of Rapture is a artistic dream.

My only reservation is that the regeneration tanks make it far too easy and death meaningless within the game. I'm sure if you didn’t mind regenerating a billion times it's perfectly possible to complete the game using just the wrench (Except for maybe the end sequence when you can't regenerate)

SS2 is one of my all time favourite games so the fact that this is a carbon copy doesn't detract from it's compelling narrative. The big shock twist that comes 3/4 of the way through is sublime in making you look back at your previous actions in the game. Not since System Shock 2 and Knights of the old Republic has there been such a fun twist in the story.

A delight from start to finish.
I can't wait to buy this game. I'm gonna buy myself a second processor for my PC so I can play it at maximum graphics first though.

That being said, I have found shooting those flying choppers in the demo quite irrating. I don't know why but I just can't seem to hit them very well. I'm not the worst FPS gamer around, but it's a bit of an achilla's heel for me.

My fav (or ONLY game I feel like worth mentioning this year) has been Sega Rally on the PC. It plays exactly like the original Saturn version, but with heavily upgraded graphics and really intense racing sessions.

Some have really slammed this because it's not a simulation racer but this is missing the point. So it's not Colin McRae? Why would we want an immitation anyway?

So they don't feel like 'real cars'. Not everyone wants to spend 20 races just to get to grips with one car before having to spend 20 races getting to grips with another.

It's been only too long since I've had a game where I can enjoy having quick 15 minute sessions once or twice a day.

Also, the AI are a right bunch of buggers. They ram me off the edge, drive in front at the most inconvenient of times and and never dumb down. This game is HARD.

I don't play racers all the time, but whilst with Ridge Racer I complete about 5-10 championships before I start finding the AI hard, Sega Rally took me 5 attempts at the first Championship in order to get 1st place on all three tracks.

What I can't understand is IGN downrated it saying that the AI was almost non-existent. Did America get a different game to me or something?

I can safely say this game is actually gonna last me more than 5 days.

P.S. sorry for the waffling.

Quote:
You might notice a distinct lack of Adventure games, which apart from Sam and Max were seriously average in 2007.
Agreed. Sam and Max in particular was the most average adventure I've played in years. I hope they add more depth to the second series.