Thread: 3d modelling
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2004, 03:45 AM   #2
spaceship789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares
I wanna teach myself 3d modelling. Which program is easier to learn for a newbie, 3d studio max, or maya? Any tips on good material to use when learning them? Do they provide good tutorials themselves? Thanks

Both are equally as difficult

But I recommend Maya.

The reason is that there are quiet a few different ways of 3D modelling - but maya has them all.

Polygonal-subDs-box modelling - start with a box then subdivide it, extrude cubes, and cut off corners until you have a smooth head/body. This is a bit like scultping.

Nurbs/Patches - start by drawing a bunch of curves then connect them up in three dimensions and make surfaces out of them. This may be best place to start if you are a confident drawer.

Pen Deformation - Start with a ball for a head, and when you draw on it you create lumps or valleys on the ball. Build up the nose, cheekbones, push back the eye sockets etc.

Both packages support some type of Polygonal and Nurbs/Patches.
The reason I recommend Maya is that it is the only one with Pen deformation.
If polygonal, and patches get you no where, then you can use pen deformation (known as Artisan, in Maya) to get started. For newbies, its the easiest of the three techniques, and once you get the hang of it, it makes it easier to learn the other two.

If you want to do content for games, then you will eventually have to learn polygonal/subD modelling. If you are just rendering of frames of animation, or stills, then you can get away with nurbs/patches and pen deformation.

Download Maya Personal Learning Edition and use the book/pdf called "Learning Maya" - it has some great tutorials.

Goodluck!

Anthony.