View Single Post
Old 12-28-2007, 02:43 AM   #3065
Lucien21
Psychonaut

I am Legend

Based on the Richard Matheson book of the same name (although they more or less throw the book story out) and previous filmed as "The Omega Man" with Charlton Heston. This is the story of Robert Neville Soldier and Virologist who is the last man alive in New York after a cure for cancer mutates into an unstoppable virus which either killed or transformed people into raging vampire like creatures.

Will Smith is immune to the virus and was one of the people working on a cure while trying to stay alive.

The first half of the movie is superb. The emptiness of a New York overgrown with plants and populated by deer and lions is a sight to behold. Will Smith gives a decent performance as the only man alive with his dog, Sam. During the day he drives around New York hunting for food and supplies. He visits a DVD store and talks to the other shoppers in a surreal scene with dummies. Robert is clinging to sanity after no human contact for 40 months.

There are some real scare moments that will make you jump out your seat near the start of the movie. The hunting scene and especially the first time he goes into a darkened building to save Sam.

Unfortunatly this is also where the movie goes downhill. For some weird reason the director has made the Darkdwellers entirely out of crappy CGI and after the first encouter, which is genuinly creepy, the bad CGI just ruins any scene with the Dark Dwellers.

The second half of the movie is more of a standard action movie as the DarkDwellers attack and Robert picks up a couple of survivors leading to a showdown.

Overall this is a movie that's not sure what it wants to be. After a superb 1st hour of suspense, beautifully haunting images of New York, character based storyline it blows a wad of bad cgi and action movie nonsense towards the end.

It was entertaining but it could have been a lot better.

6/10