View Single Post
Old 12-20-2007, 10:55 AM   #26413
Jazhara7
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
But a bundle of straw is incapable of holding air, thus producing suction. What you're describing sounds the straw catching behind the arrow head, and "holding" it.

I've seen compound bows quite a bit; they're very popular with deer hunters here in the US. The ridiculous "camouflaged macho bow-wielding deer hunter" image kinda soured me to them.

Well, we don't really have arrow "heads" the way you think. They're basically just pointy sticks. Made of aluminium. So there's no place to catch "behind". Imagine the head of a sharpened pencil, and you know what an arrow point looks like.

You only need "heads" when you're hunting.

Oh, and the compound bow of our club leader is dark blue. Also, he's not very macho. A friendly old man, already quite bald but with some remaining white hair. He let me try his compound bow once. It's amazing. At first it's quite hard to pull, but once you reach a certain point, you could tie back the string with a piece of yarn.

Oh, and the reason why it's used for hunting a lot is that it's compact, yet still is very strong. If your're sneaking up on prey, a big bow is very bad, as you can get caught on the undergrowth, and alert the prey to your presence. On the other hand you need a strong bow (which usually equals out to "a large bow") to get enough strength, or else you have to get closer, which is not always easy. I think the bow might was actually developed for hunting specifically, though you shouldn't quote me on that.

There are still people who hunt with traditional bows, even ones they made themselves. That's where I got the information about back quivers being too loud from. It's all in the Traditional Bowyer's Bible.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!