View Single Post
Old 12-08-2007, 11:23 AM   #70
Steve Ince
Writer-Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
*sigh of relief* Glad you didn't find it offensive, Steve. Also, I should've said this earlier, but good luck with the proposal.
Thanks, that's kind of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
When I get games like Broken Sword 3 where there felt like very little people in larger surroundings, and you traveling several places. There wasn't that much character development in even the smallest characters, and I switched off very quickly. I've forced myself to get very far in that game, but every time I've stopped when I've had to return to a location (I think you had to go to that abandoned theatre three odd times?).

Too many game developers in general feel that bigger is better. "Crysis is better because it's got big landscape, etc." That's ok for some games like GTA, but for an adventure, I'd rather have a small selection of locations filled with many characters, great amounts of colour and detail to everything on screen than a bland, gigantic city.
In many ways I agree with you. I'm not saying that I think that BS3 was bad, but it was perhaps spread out much more than it needed to be.

One of the strengths of So Blonde is that the whole game takes place in a relatively small place, we re-use locations and re-visit characters and many of them develop along the way. We had a lot of fun with this game. I want to build on that with my own ideas.