View Single Post
Old 12-08-2007, 01:22 AM   #69
Terramax

Being able to talk to a wide variety of people was what got me interested in adventures at an early age. My the first two, Blazing Dragons and Discworld, I would just wonder around constantly talking to everyone, looking at everything every five minutes in the hope I'd see something new.

Both games were in chapters, so each would see a change of events for the characters and surroundings. I still remember how at the start of Blazing Dragons there's a woman that was knitting a sock to go on her baby dragon's tail. First it was only the size of her hand. But the final chapter it was this gigantic pile of knitting... and she was still furiously knitting it as if there was no end in site.

That's what has attracted me to most of my fav games that are all set in the same locations throughout the game yet tiny details kept the humour and what was believable going.

When I get games like Broken Sword 3 where there felt like very little people in larger surroundings, and you traveling several places. There wasn't that much character development in even the smallest characters, and I switched off very quickly. I've forced myself to get very far in that game, but every time I've stopped when I've had to return to a location (I think you had to go to that abandoned theatre three odd times?).

Too many game developers in general feel that bigger is better. "Crysis is better because it's got big landscape, etc." That's ok for some games like GTA, but for an adventure, I'd rather have a small selection of locations filled with many characters, great amounts of colour and detail to everything on screen than a bland, gigantic city. Just take a look at 80 Days. That game looks huge. But the pics on the adventure shop show just how bland and lifeless it all seems.

Many great adventures are kinda like soap-operas I guess. Same place, same characters every day/ week, but new events and new ways to learn something about the characters in a funny way.

Last edited by Terramax; 12-08-2007 at 01:34 AM.